Hantavirus reports from California (2 with 1 fatality), and Washington.

Hantavirus cases reported in the United States through March 26, 2007. Map courtesy of the CDC.

California 08/20/10 myvalleynews.com: A brush mouse trapped at the Fry Creek Campground on Mount Palomar during routine monitoring tested positive for hantavirus, the San Diego County Department of Environmental Health announced on Monday. “Campers need to make sure that mice

Brush Mouse

stay out of their tents, campers and motor homes,” said Jack Miller, director of the DEH. “People contract hantavirus by inhaling the virus, often when they are cleaning up rodent droppings and nesting materials,” he said. “Wet cleaning methods should be used to prevent inhaling the virus.” County Vector Control officials randomly sample wild mice to look for hantavirus. Nineteen mice have tested positive locally for hantavirus this year. Hantavirus is carried by wild rodents, primarily deer mice. The virus is found in rodent droppings and urine and can be inhaled by humans when it becomes airborne, according to the health agency.

California 08/20/10 mammothtimes.com: The Mono County Health Department has confirmed that a Bodie man suspected of dying from a Hantavirus infection did indeed test positive for Hantavirus.  The test results from both the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Viral and Rickettsial Diseases Laboratory and the Nevada State Public Health Laboratory were made available to the county yesterday.  The 61-year-old man, Richard Laird Johnson (known as “Laird”), a resident of Redding, Calif., was working as a seasonal employee at Bodie State Park. He reportedly worked at the front desk of the visitor’s center/museum and had no official custodial or maintenance duties. He resided in his personal motor home parked on site.  An investigation of this confirmed HCPS case will be initiated. The Mono County Health Department will lead the investigation with assistance from CDPH Vector-Borne Disease Section (VBDS). Because of the possibility that exposure occurred in an occupational setting, CDPH Occupational Health Branch and CalOSHA will work with VBDS and Mono County on the investigation.   Preventive information for the public and park staff had been delivered earlier in the season, and will be reinforced during this period of investigation.

For further information, go to:

Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):

 http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/generalinfoindex.htm

California Department of Public Health:

 http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/discond/Pages/HantavirusPulmonarySyndrome.aspx

New Brochure: Rodents and Hantavirus

 http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/discond/Documents/RodentsandHantavirus.pdf                                                                 
Mono County Health Department:

http://www.monohealth.com/diseases/idhanta.html
Source: Mono County Health Department press release.

Deer Mouse

Washington 08/23/10 heraldnet.com: by Sharon Salyer – Brad Erdahl was mostly just annoyed when he discovered a rodent had gotten into his bread supply while camping, never imagining the string of events that was about to unfold.  It happened in late June while Erdhal was staying in a camper at Goose Creek Campground near Leavenworth. Late one night, he awoke and turned on a light. He spotted a mouse nearby sitting on the floor.  “I got down, got a broom, and swept him out the front door,” Erdhal said. He cleaned the trailer of a few mouse droppings and wiped everything down.  After he arrived back home over the weekend in Everett, Erdhal began having flu-like symptoms: Muscle fatigue. Body aches. Fever.  The symptoms intensified over the next few days. A body temperature with rollercoaster-like readings, peaking at 103 degrees then dropping to 97.  By Monday, June 28, he began feeling faint and his vision was strangely affected. “I went outside on a bright, sunny day and it seemed like a snow white-out,” he said. “It hurt to keep my eyes open … I could hardly even walk.”  He called his doctor and she told him to go to an emergency room right away. His wife drove him to Evergreen Hospital Medical Center in Kirkland.  Still, Erdahl didn’t think he had anything serious until he saw the reaction of emergency room staff. “Typically they put you in there and you’re waiting a long time,” he said. “That wasn’t the case.”  Erdahl, 42, was in shock, had low blood pressure and a temperature of 103 degrees, and his kidneys were failing, said Dr. Francis Riedo, an infectious disease specialist who works at the hospital. Erdahl was transferred to the intensive care unit.  “He was breathing fast and short breaths,” his wife, Shelly Erdahl, said. He was diagnosed with pneumonia and put on a ventilator.  “They tested me for everything on the planet,” Erdahl said. “The infectious disease doctor was questioning my wife, ‘What’s he been doing?’   “She’s not thinking about the mouse,” Erdahl said. “Why would you?”  Nevertheless, the biggest clue to Erdahl’s illness would come from that late-night spotting of a mouse while he was camping.  It was a deer mouse, identified by its coat of blackish-brown fur with a large white underbelly, one of several types of mice in the United States known to carry hantavirus.  The virus begins with flu-like symptoms, just like Erdhal had.  Hantavirus is relatively rare, with only 503 cases documented in the United States since 1993, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But more than a third — 36 percent — of those diagnosed with the disease die.

From four to 10 days after initial exposure, patients experience coughing and shortness of breath. The lungs fill with fluid.  The virus is spread when fresh urine, droppings or nesting materials are stirred up, such as by sweeping, according to the federal health agency. That allows the virus to get into the air and for it to be inhaled. Instead of vaccuuming or sweeping around where mice have been, health officials recommend cleaning up with water and bleach.  Among the symptoms that led physicians to suspect hantavirus was that Erdahl had been in good health until three days before he was hospitalized, he had been camping and he had kidney failure.  Tests confirmed their hunch, making Erdahl the first person to be diagnosed with the illness in Washington this year, according to the state Department of Health.  Erdahl was hospitalized for 13 days, 10 spent in the intensive care unit. Even after he left intensive care, the virus left him so weak it was hard for him to raise a piece of bread to his mouth, he said.  When Erdahl was discharged July 11, he was still easily fatigued. Yet just two weeks after leaving the hospital, he was at his job as a construction superintendent. He now rates his recovery at 90 percent, but has been told it could be a several more months before he feels fully back to normal.  Since learning of Erdahl’s case, the Wenatchee National Forest has posted signs on its campground bulletin boards warning of the potential for deer mice to spread hantavirus.  Even though Erdahl has camped since he was a boy, he said he had no idea that simply sweeping up after a mouse could nearly cost him his life.  Erdahl said he hopes that people will take extra care when spending time outdoors — and even at home — around places mice can find a way squirm into.  “I’ve camped and been around those environments all my life,” Erdahl said. “I never, ever would suspect that something like that could happen so easily.  “Just be alert and aware.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s