Rhode Island 06/10/13 providencejournal.com: by Taiana Pina – The Department of Environmental Management says it has found a bacterial infection called psittacosis in a privately owned flock of psittacine birds in Pawtucket. Birds from the flock were sold to pet shops where they may have infected other birds. People can also contract the disease. Psittacine birds are parrots and parrot-like birds such as parakeets, cockatiels and love birds. The woman who was breeding them took them to a veterinarian in Barrington, who notified state veterinarian Scott Marshall. Marshall said the woman who was breeding cockatiels and love birds was not licensed. He said the DEM submitted the dead birds to the University of Connecticut where the birds were confirmed to be infected with psittacosis. Birds from the woman’s flock were sold to Critter Hut Aquarium and Pets at 6637 Post Road in North Kingstown and the Critter Hut at 91 Point Judith Road, Narragansett.
The disease can infect people who have contact with infected birds. People and birds infected with the disease can be cured with antibiotics. The pet shops have been cleaned and disinfected and do not represent an ongoing animal health or public health risk, the DEM said. The DEM is concerned that people may have purchased diseased or exposed birds from these pet shops. Marshall said anyone with an illness that has purchased a psittacine bird from one of the locations on or after Feb. 1, 2013 should contact the Department of Health for evaluation. Anyone who purchased the birds at the pet shop should also contact their veterinarian for guidance on testing and treatment of the disease. Health and DEM say the disease is generally very treatable. Rapid identification of infection is essential, and people should contact the health department at 222-2577 or RI State Veterinarian Scott Marshall, DVM at DEM at 222-4700 ext. 4503.
Ontario 06/10/13 timminspress.com: A biologist doing surveying work in the Foleyet area fended off a persistent attack by a black bear using a repellant spray Sunday. The incident occurred in the vicinity of Vimy Creek, near the Groundhog River. The predatory actions of the bear were suppressed by the use of spray but the bear continued to return to the man on a number of occasions over a period of 40 minutes, the provincial police in Foleyet reported Monday. The man managed to reach his truck without injury and attended the OPP detachment to report the incident. The OPP has now issued a warning to those in the Kukatush Road area in Reese Township “for work, fishing, or recreation to be particularly wary of bear activity.” Police also advise anyone venturing into the forest to exercise caution. This bear encounter in Foleyet is the second such attack on a person in the Northeastern region in less than a month. In mid May, a Toronto man was seriously injured when he was mauled by a black bear while staying a cabin near Cochrane. In that incident, the man’s scalp was torn off and the victim required 300 stitches to close his wounds. – For complete article see http://www.timminspress.com/2013/06/10/biologist-fends-off-bear-attack-near-foleyet
Illinois 06/11/13 Champaign County: Health officials have issued a Tularemia Alert after two cats tested positive for the disease, also known as rabbit fever, in the Champaign–Urbana Public Health District. – See http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2013-06-11/tularemia-cases-c-u-prompt-warning-keep-cats-inside.html
West Nile Virus (WNV):
Tennessee 06/11/13 Knox County: Health officials confirm that mosquitoes found in the vicinity of South Chapman Highway in South Knoxville have tested positive for WNV. These are the first mosquitoes to test positive in the county this year. Spraying is scheduled to begin on June 13th. – See http://www.wbir.com/news/article/277107/2/West-Nile-Virus-found-in-South-Knox-mosquitoes-spraying-set-for-Thursday-night
Arkansas 06/10/13 Lonoke County: A pet cat belonging to a family in Cabot has tested positive for rabies. The cat had not been vaccinated as required by law. – See http://www.thv11.com/news/health/268315/126/Pet-cat-tests-positive-for-rabies
Ohio 06/10/13 Crawford County: A bat found by a homeowner working outside in Jefferson Township has tested positive for rabies. – See http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/06/10/bucyrus-rabid-bat-found.html