FLORIDA health officials confirm 3 cases of DENGUE FEVER ~ CANADA: HANTAVIRUS reports from SASKATCHEWAN and BRITISH COLUMBIA.

dengue_alert548Florida 08/14/13 tcpalm.com: by Laurie K. Blandford & Tyler Treadway The Florida Department of Health in Martin County reported Wednesday afternoon three cases of dengue fever had been confirmed in the Rio community. “It’s very rare to have locally contracted cases,” said Bob Washam, director of environmental health for the department. “In the history of Martin County, we’ve only had one case that was locally acquired.” Martin County’s only previous case of dengue fever was contracted by a Port Salerno resident in August 2011, according to health officials. St. Lucie County hasn’t had any locally-acquired cases. Washam said the three — one from St. Lucie County and two from Stuart — “were all exposed in the Rio area. I can’t be more specific without violating federal privacy laws. Besides, it’s the entire Rio area that we’re concerned with and where our advisory is focused. Mosquitoes can travel throughout the Rio area.” They were bitten around Aug. 2. “All three received medical treatment, and all three have recovered,” Washam said. – For complete article including symptoms and precautions see http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2013/aug/14/5-36-1-headline/



imagesCAULAVUQSaskatchewan 08/16/13 winnipegfreepress.com: Saskatoon Health Region officials have confirmed a case of hantavirus infection in the area. The health region says the patient is under medical care. No other details have been provided. It is the third case recorded by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Health in the last two months. The infection is potentially fatal and can develop after humans are exposed to the hantavirus through the droppings, urine or saliva of rodents such as deer mice. Early symptoms include fever, chills, headache, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness and respiratory distress. – See http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/health/third-case-of-hantavirus-this-year-confirmed-in-saskatchewan-219947301.html


British Columbia 08/14/13 kamloopsthisweek.com: by Dale Bass – Western Canada Theatre has looked after — and used — the heritage-designated B.C. Sheep Breeders barn on Lorne Street for years, but now must vacate the premises. Blame it on the mice. WCT general manager Lori Marchand said they always knew there were a few of the rodents calling the historical building home, sharing the space with costumes, props and sets from past theatrical productions. An April fire, however, revealed not only the need for a sprinkler system in the old building, but the fact there were deer mice, some of them carrying hantavirus, a rare but serious lung disease that can infect people who breathe in the viral particles. “The fire, in a lot of ways, was a blessing in disguise,” Marchand said”. – For complete article see http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/219630081.html


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s